English Language Learners
Jobs (Also check out our Job Search & Career Resources page.)
Social Networking Sites
- African-American Civil War Memorial
- African American World PBS, includes unit for teachers
- The African-American Mosaic A Library of Congress Resource Guide for the Study of Black History and Culture
- The African American Odyssey The Library of Congress American Memory Project
- African American Women Writers of the 19th Century A collection of 52 works providing "access to the thought, perspectives and creative abilities of black women as captured in books and pamphlets published prior to 1920." Searchable by author, title and genre. A project from the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture and Digital Schomburg of the New York Public Library.
- Ancestry.com Celebrating Black History Month
- Biography.com Celebrating Our Black History
- Black History Month free resources from the Gale Group
- Encyclopedia Britannica's Guide to Black History
- CNN - Black History Month
- The Faces of Science: African Americans in the Sciences by Louisiana State University Libraries. Profiled here are African American men and women who have contributed to the advancement of science and engineering.
- Historical Text Archive click on African American
- History Channel.com Black History
- African American World War II Medal of Honor Recipients
- National Park Service Programs by Theme: Black History
- Negro Baseball Leagues
- People of Color on America's Western Frontier
- Time.com Celebrating Black History
- Time.com for Kids Black History Month
- U.S. Census Facts on the Black/African American Population
Looking for a good read? Check out the Books section of our Database & Downloads page. Explore our Staff Picks and other resources such as BookNews, Booklist Online, or NoveList. Also take a look at our list of Children's Literature Web sites. Other sites to go to for suggestions:
- Book Beast, from The Daily Beast: Read This Skip That
- Fantastic Fiction, a British site, includes a guide to titles in Series
- New York Times Sunday Book Review & main Books page
- StarTribune.com Books
- Tar Heel Reader, books for beginning readers of all ages
- USAToday.com Books, including an interactive calendar of upcoming book release dates
- CLEP Information on CLEP exams and includes searchable database of institutions accepting CLEP exams.
- College.gov U.S. Department of Education. This site is intended to be the go-to source for information and resources about planning, preparing and paying for postsecondary education.
- Distance Learning Channel Searchable index of distance learning degree programs and other opportunities.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) U.S. Department of Education Fill out the FAFSA form online.
- Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Credit U.S. Department of Education Information about educational benefits contained in the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997
- Peterson's Online
Comprehensive research site for colleges, universities, financial aid, test preparation.
- The Student Guide
U.S. Department of Education grants, loans, and work-study are the three major forms of student financial aid available through the federal Student Financial Assistance Programs. Updated each award year, The Student Guide tells you about the programs and how to apply for them.
- U.S. News Online: Get Into College
College Rankings. Searchable index of 4-year and community colleges. Enter your preferences for major and location.
- U.S. News: America's Best Graduate Schools
Get the latest rankings, interactive tools, and up-to-date articles for each area of study, just enter your preferences.
- VA Education Benefits Outlines benefits available to Veterans and surviving dependents of Veterans.
- Click here for links to Results, the Minnesota Senate Recount, and much more.
- BBC Learning English (Note that this is British pronunciation and spelling.)
- Beginning English for Somali Speakers
- EPA National Environmental Publications Internet Site: over 7,000 documents on-line
- Hazardous Substances fact sheets from New Jersey Dept. of Health and Senior Services
- Plants National Database U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Forests.org Forest Protection Portal
- Rainforest Resources
- Amazon Interactive Produced by Educational Web Adventures. An interactive web site for children with online games and activities.
- The Future of Tropical Rainforest Peoples. Produced by APFT, a multi-disciplinary project sponsored by the European Community which aims to investigate and document the future of the peoples of the rainforest, focusing on three principal areas: the Caribbean, Central Africa and the Southwestern Pacific.
- Rainforest Action Network
- Rainforest Alliance An international nonprofit organization dedicated to tropical forest conservation. The site has an interactive jungle adventure and special resources for teachers and young people.
- Wealth of the Rainforest Extensive plant database, including photos
- AutoSite Car Loan Calculator
- Barron's Online
- Currency Conversion, Yahoo's converter
- Hoovers.com information on companies, industries, and people
- Kiplinger.com personal finance
- CNN Money a service of CNN, Fortune, and Money
- Tax Resources
- Universal Currency Converter Perform currency conversions instantly online.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- The White House
- Thomas Legislative information from the Library of Congress
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
- American Academy of Family Physicians, Family Medicine Online
- American Dietetic Association
- American Medical Association
- American Heart Association
- Asbestos.com Mesothelioma Cancer Resources
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Department of Defense Military Health System
- Doctor's Guide to the Internet
- Food and Drug Administration
- Health A to Z: A World of Health at Your Fingertips
- Healthfinder.gov U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- MayoClinic.com Tools for Healthier Lives
- Merck Manuals Online Medical Library
- My Health Minnesota - find health services throughout Minnesota
- MyLifetime.com Health
- National Cancer Institute
- New England Journal of Medicine
- OncoLink-University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center
- Prescription and Over-the-counter Resources
(Also check out our Job Search & Career Resources page.)
- CareerOneStop.org Job Search
- iseek.org Minnesota's gateway to career, education, employment, and business information.
- NewsVoyager.com A gateway to U.S. daily and weekly newspapers on the Web. Many contain full text of classified sections with up-to-date job listings.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Positively Minnesota, a Web site of the Department of Employment and Economic Development, has many resources for Job Seekers.
- The Riley Guide includes advice on job searching, resumes, networking, and links to job sites.
- USAJobs The U.S. Government's official site for Federal jobs and employment information.
- Small Business Administration Links to information on starting your own small business, financing it, on-line classes, and other related resources.
- State and Territorial Employment Offices
Alabama | Alaska | Arkansas | California | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Idaho | Iowa | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Michigan | Minnesota | Missouri | New Hampshire | New_York | North Carolina | North_Dakota | Oregon | Rhode_Island | South_Carolina | South Dakota | Texas | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | Wyoming
- BBC Languages, including French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, and many more resources
- BBC Learning English (note that this is British pronunciation and spelling)
- Livemocha.com, an online language learning community. Initial lessons are free.
- MyLanguageExchange.com. Some services are free.
- LawHelpMN.org, helping low-income Minnesotans solve civil legal problems. Resource in English, Somali, Spanish, and 19 other languages.
- Google Maps
- How Far Is It? Enter names of 2 locations, get the distance between as "the crow" flies
- National Atlas of the United States U.S. Geological Service
- Tiger Mapping Service
- Yahoo Maps
- BizLinks Links to Minnesota business information
- Admin Minnesota Minnesota State Demographic Center
- First Call Minnesota An Internet-accessible database of over 10,000 service agencies and 45,000 social services
- ISEEK.ORG The Minnesota Internet System for Education and Employment Knowledge, brought to you by Minnesota state agencies and educational providers
- Library Development and Services
- Maps Geographic Information Systems, find legislative districts, school districts, population maps, etc.
- Minnesota Humanities Commission includes Minnesota Book Awards
- Minnesota Library Directory Developed and maintained by Minnesota Multi county, Multitype Library Regions, search by city, county, or name for all types of libraries in Minnesota
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
- Minnesota State Legislature
- Minnesota Statutes
- Minnesota Department of Revenue Tax Information
- Minnesota Web Directory Developed and maintained by METRONET
- North Star Minnesota State Government Online
- Sports, professional teams in Minnesota
- Voter Registration Applications in English, Hmong, Spanish, Somali, Russian, and Vietnamese
- County and City Data Books University of Virginia-searches information from the Census Bureau Search for selected demographic data about selected counties and cities.
- Homebuyer's Fair A commercial site supported by sponsoring real estate agencies Tools, calculators, community information.
- Newspapers A comprehensive gateway to U.S. daily and weekly newspapers on the Web. Many contain full text of classified sections with up-to-date job listings.
- Official City Sites - or Near Official Sites designated as sanctioned by city government or chamber. Searchable database indexed by state. Also contains some foreign cities.
- U.S. Gazetteer Search for a place in the United States by name or zip code and select demographic characteristics from the census that you wish to view.
- Agriculture Fact Book 2000
- Background Notes U.S. State Department Information on geographic entities and international organizations
- CIA World Factbook
- Citing Online Sources Online! a reference guide to using Internet sources. From Bedford-St. Martin's Publisher
- Congressional Directory
- Country Studies Profiles From Library of Congress, Profiles 100 countries - history, geography, society,economy, transportation and communication, government and politics, national security
- Government Information Exchange Federal agencies, programs, and services
- Information Please Searchable index contains information from : The Information Please Almanac, The A&E Information Please Entertainment Almanac, The ESPN Information Please Sports Almanac, The Information Please Kids' Almanac, and The Information Please Girls' Almanac, as well as the Columbia Encyclopedia, and the Random House College Dictionary
- Latino Links including Spanish links, thanks to Rose Trevino and the San Antonio Public Library
- Legal Resources on the Internet Lawmoose for Minnesota, Wisconsin, and World Legal Resources
- Library of Congress
- Media Links links to newspapers, television, radio websites worldwide from Editor and Publisher.com
- Native American Site Links developed and maintained by Lisa Mitten; home of the American Indian Library Association Home Page
- News Search Engines
- Newspaperlinks An index of links to local newspapers
- Access America for Seniors Social Security Administration From the introduction to the website: "We designed this site to provide senior citizens, and anyone who works on their behalf, with one site where they can access government services and information. The emphasis here is on SERVICE: we want to provide people with the option of conducting their business with the government online, without having to visit an office or call an 800 number."
- Personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate Statement PEBES is a valuable document that estimates your future Social Security benefits and tells you how to qualify for those benefits. Request can be submitted online, or printed and mailed. Report is mailed to you.
- Veterans Benefits and Services The pdf file "Summary of VA benefits" is located on the benefits page.
- VA 1-Stop Service Department of Veterans' Affairs
1-Stop FAQ answers many commonly asked questions with links to informative sources.
- Veterans' Benefits Administration Find information on programs administered by the he Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA), the part of the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) responsible for administration of non-medical benefits programs such as Compensation, Pension, Education, Loan Guaranty, Vocational Rehabilitation and Counseling, and Insurance. Other programs of note within these broad categories include death compensation or pension payments, educational assistance for dependents of veterans who died from service connected disabilities, guardianship services for incompetent veterans and dependents, burial flags, and specially adapted housing and automobiles for certain classes of service disabled veterans.
- Agriculture Fact Book
- Agricultural Statistics
- (National) Agricultural Statistics Service
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Census Bureau
- Consumer Price Indexes
- County and City Data Book
- County and City Data Books
- Crime in the United States
- Crime in the United States Univ. of Virginia
- DoD Selected Manpower Statistics
- Economic Indicators and Economic Report of the President
- Energy Information Administration
- FAA Statistical Handbook of Aviation
- FRED Federal Reserve Economic Data
- Immigration and Naturalization Services
- International Energy Outlook
- International Petroleum Monthly
- International Trade Administration
- Minerals Yearbook
- Monthly Trade Update
- National Center for Educational Statistics
- National Center for Health Statistics
- National Park Service Public Use Statistics
- National Science Foundation, Division of Science Resources Statistics
- Social Security Office of Publications
- State and Metropolitan Area Data Book
- U.S. Budget Documents
- U.S. Statistical Abstract
- USA Counties Government Information Sharing Project
- USDA Economic Research Service
- The World Factbook
- Access to Internet and Subject Resources Extensive collection of subject pages from the University of Delaware Library
- The Argus Clearinghouse Rated guides to high-quality subject collections on the Internet
- Britannica Classified, rated and reviewed Internet sites from the Encyclopedia Britannica
- BUBL Link UK funded project of selective resources from the University of Strathclyde Library in Glasgow, Scotland.
- FirstGov Your first click to the U.S. Government
- InfoSurf Academic subject resources from the University of California at Santa Barbara
- INFOMINE Large collection of scholarly Internet resources collectively maintained by libraries of the University of California
- The Internet Public Library Large, selective collection from the University of Michigan
- Librarians' Index to the Internet Carefully chosen, organized, and annotated directory coordinated by Carole Leita
- Library Resource List
- Mayo Clinic: Internet Health and Medical Resources Prepared by Mayo Clinic librarians.
- PINAKES, A Subject Launchpad Links to major meta-sites in topical areas; sites include AHDS (arts and humanities), Biz/ed, SciCentral, SOSIG (social sciences) and many more
- Scout Select Bookmarks Collection of meta-sites in several subject areas
- The WWW Virtual Library - highly respected guides to many disciplines sponsored by the W3 Consortium
- About.com Large collection of topical collections gathered by company-certified subject specialist
- Internet Library for Librarians from InfoWorks
- JumpCity Collection that offers a signed review of each item and a link to any Usenet newsgroup related to the topic
- LookSmart Large collection of links to reviewed sites in 70,000+ categories; incorporates results from Direct Hit
- Lycos Eclectic directory of award-winning Web sites
- Netscape Portal site concentrating on the business community, with a directory, search service and (free) members-only services including discussion groups, instant messenger, a member directory and free e-mail
- Open Directory Project Significant resource collection compiled by thousands of volunteer editors owned by Netscape and promising extensive expansion
- Reference Desk A virtual reference desk
- The Search Beat Large, selective directory organized into numerous subtopics with a friendly approach
- Starting Point Selective collection features a main index of 12 categories; offers searches on Web search engines and the option to personalize the site
- Web Search Well-organized, annotated collection of Web sites organized by topic and maintained by Chris Sherman of The Mining Co.
- Web-Today Destinations Directory Small, very selective directory of the best of the daily announcement service Web-Today
- Yahoo! Offers search, news, stock quotes, maps, free e-mail and many other services
Read the words of these women who spoke out for suffrage.
- 4000 Years of Women in Science From the University of Alabama
- Canadian Women Making an Impact Web site for the Canadian Women's History Month -- celebrated in October.
- A Celebration of Women Writers
- Center for Women Veterans
- Emory Women Writers Resource Project Edited and unedited texts by women writers of the seventeenth through nineteenth centuries.
- Gale Free Resource Women's History Month biographies, quizzes, activities
- Girl Power For girls ages 9-14 from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Internet Women's History Sourcebook History Department of Fordham University
- Mayo Clinic: Women's Health Center
- Muslim Women's League
- National Museum of Women's History
- National Organization for Women
- National Women's Hall of Fame
- National Women's History Project
- U.S. Department of Labor Women's Bureau
- Vietnam Women’s Memorial
- WASP, Women Pilots of WWII
- Women in Military Service for America Memorial
- WomenWatch: The UN Internet Gateway on the Advancement and Empowerment of Women
- Women's Health From the New York Times on the Web
- Women's Health Information Center From the Journal of the American Medical Association
- Women in American History from Encyclopedia Britannica
- Women's Studies Journals On-line, indexed by Yahoo
- WSSLinks: Women and Gender Studies Web Sites developed and maintained by the Women's Studies Section of the Association of College and Research Libraries