Skating at Morehouse
Chalet COVID Protocols
Ice skating at the Warsinski ice rinks located at Morehouse Park are open. Check our cancellation page for current ice conditions and possible closings. Please note the following guidelines due to the Governor's orders:
- Chalet is now open for a warming house and consumption of food in the chalet is now allowed. The capacity of the chalet is now 25% capacity which is max of 35 people.
- Additional benches will be placed outside the chalet for people to change into their skates.
- At this time bonfires are not allowed. We ask that when skating that you practice proper social distancing, hygiene, and if you have symptoms to not use the facility at that time.
- Monday thru Friday: 3:00 pm to 9:30 pm
- Wednesday, January 27: 1:00 pm to 9:30 pm
- Saturdays, Holidays, School Vacation Days: 11:00 am to 9:30 pm (January 1, 8, 18 and 19)
- Sunday: 12:00 pm to 9:30 pm
Cross Country Ski Trails
Cross country ski trails are groomed in the winter at Kaplans, Brooktree and Morehouse. The Parks Department packs and grooms cross-country skiing trails throughout the winter season with trails through Kaplan’s Woods, from Kaplans to Morehouse Chalet and the upper and lower nine of Brooktree golf course. Ski rentals are available at Morehouse Chalet during the above schedule of hours of being open at the chalet
Winter Weekend Out – January 30-31 with some activities starting sooner!
We’ve got a variety of winter-themed activities planned for you to have fun and stay active! Take a look at the activities, most are planned for the weekend of January 30-31, but some start earlier!
- Snowman Building Contest – During the month of January. During the month of January submit a photo of your best snowman creation. Submission deadline is Sunday, January 31, 2021. Free to enter! Prizes will be awarded to the Best in Snow (chosen by judges) and People’s Choice (Facebook vote). Bring your snowman to life using accessories, colors, themes, etc. Be creative and imaginative! Winners will be contacted after judging is complete.
- Snowman Clue – Who Melted Frosty? January 16 – 31 (NEW start date due to weather). This cold weather has gotten to the one of the Parks and Recreation Department staff! Whoever it was punished poor Frosty the Snowman! The Owatonna Police Department found Frosty in a puddle, melted. Frosty’s sidekicks will not let this crime go unpunished! Are you a good enough detective to figure out which Parks and Recreation employee finally snapped? Who did it? Where they did it? What weapon they used? Frosty’s sidekicks, miniature snowman, hold the clues to this horrendous crime! Find Frosty’s sidekicks at the following parks to help solve the crime: Mineral Springs, Morehouse, and Fairgrounds Park. Visit these parks between January 16—31, find Frosty’s sidekicks holding the clues. Use the Snowman Clue Guide to help you crack the crime. Once you have figured out this mystery, submit your guess here, or message your guess to us on our Facebook page.
- Cardboard Sled Race Rules – January 30 at West Hills Sledding Hill. Design and build a person powered, corrugated cardboard sled capable of withstanding the descent down the West Hills sledding hill. How creative can you be using only corrugated cardboard as a building material? Come join the fun!
- Class I: Age 10 and under, Class II: Ages 11 and up.
- Four time slots: 10:00 (class I), 10:45 (class I), 11:30 (class II) & 12:15 (class II). Max 15 participants per time slot. Pre-registration through CivicRec required.
- Awards for Top o’ the Hill – Most attractive or spectacular looking and Fastest Sled.
- Cardboard Sled Race Rules
- Family Ice Fishing – January 31 at Lake Kohlmier. Enjoy a Minnesota winter past-time, ice fishing! We’ll have holes drilled for you and provide bait and equipment (limited equipment available). Everyone who registers will receive one ticket and each fish caught earns another ticket for a drawing for various prizes! A prize for largest fish caught will also be awarded.
- Three time slots: 1:00 – 2:00pm, 2:15 – 3:15pm & 3:30 – 4:30pm.
- Pre-registration through CivicRec required, $5 per area (two pre-drilled holes provided for you per area). Maximum of 25 areas per timeslot, register early!
Snow Sculpture Exhibition - Central Park, Downtown Owatonna
Join in this free, family-friendly community event! No experience needed and snow blocks will be provided for you! A great team-building event for businesses, family event for families or individual event to show off your sculpting skills.
- Carving will take place January 22—27.Spectators are welcome to watch teams carve their sculptures! Carvings will be done by January 28.
- Come and view the finished sculptures! Sculptures will be available for viewing until they melt.
- Sign your team up here! Deadline to sign up is January 15.
- View Snow Sculpture Exhibition rules.
Owatonna Parks and Recreation will be hosting NFL Pick'em. The object of the game is simple: pick the winner of each NFL game every week. Weekly points will be recorded and totaled at the end of each of the playoff games. Make your picks online below. One prize will be awarded to the person with the most points.